Tuesday 19 March 2013

Bahn Mi, Brick Lane

A friend took me for a trip down Brick lane a little while back and took me to the Boiler House Food Hall for some lunch. Think of it as an indoor market, but with only the food stalls.

Its here I had my first taste of a Vietnamese style Baguette or Bahn Mi as its more affectionately known. Bahn Mi typically consists of
various Vietnamese cold cuts, such as sliced pork or pork bellies with the liver pate and vegetables.I can’t remember the name of the stall so sadly I can’t credit the producers of this lovely little number.



I ordered the “Special Dong”  . . . .  yes I know. Which came with predictably some form of pork and pate. The accompaniments being  pickled carrot, white onion, cucumber, fresh coriander  and chilli sauce. All served in a crusty roll.

Fab, I’m converted. The same friend who brought me here had recently visited Vietnam and told me that practically the only thing he ate whilst in the country for 2 weeks was Bahn Mi he liked them that much and I would have to agree with him. This may not have been the finest sandwich ever to leave Vietnam but as a starting point I was pretty pleased. The pickled carrot in particular marries great with the greasy pork and the layers of flavour definitely surpass your average baguette.

So next time you’re going down Brick Lane on a weekend pop in and grab one of these babies. . .  Just avoid the Chinese stand its crap.

7/10

http://www.boilerhouse-foodhall.co.uk/

The Old Truman Brewery
152 Brick Lane,
E1 6RU London


No comments:

Post a Comment